Baton Rouge Natural Gas Infrastructure Replacement Program
Why Replace Gas Infrastructure?
Manage the Integrity and Reliability of the Gas Distribution Pipeline
- Managing the integrity and reliability of the gas distribution pipeline has always been a primary goal for Entergy's Gas Distribution Business. Our integrity management plan keeps us in compliance with requirements set by the U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.
- Entergy Louisiana's accelerated pipe replacement program is a 10-year effort to enhance the safety and reliability of the natural gas system. The project involves replacement of approximately 100 miles of main gas pipe, or roughly 6 percent of the main gas system.
- Most of the pipe to be replaced consists of older plastic pipe, but it also includes a small percentage of cast iron and bare steel pipe still remaining in the system.
Reliability and Safety Benefits
- Entergy's gas delivery system is safe – it is routinely inspected, subject to regular maintenance and testing, operated by trained and qualified employees and subject to programs that educate and inform customers about their role in safety. We comply with all federal and state safety regulations.
- Safety is Entergy's number one priority for customers and its employees. The company's customers should call Entergy or the gas company serving their area whenever they have signs of a gas leak such as smell, blowing gas, etc.
- To deliver natural gas safely and efficiently and meet integrity management plan requirements, the company identifies pipeline threats, evaluates and addresses risks and monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of measures taken.
- Ongoing reliability activities include performing annual leak surveys and taking corrective action, and tracking outages and analyzing data to identify problem areas and develop reliability improvement solutions.
- The company and its gas employees are subject to stringent internal controls and must meet rigorous federal and state oversight to ensure that natural gas is delivered safely and efficiently.
- The new system configuration introduces additional redundancies to ensure reliable delivery of gas to customers, thereby reducing the scope of outages.
- Disruptions to the flow of gas can be isolated and confined more easily, keeping the flow of gas available to more customers in an affected area
- A new safety feature will be included in new gas service lines to homes or businesses. This new feature, an “excess flow valve”, will automatically shut off gas flow if the customer’s service develops a leak or some other disruption.