Watch bulbs and cords.
Lightbulbs can reach 300°F and are an often-overlooked fire hazard. Overloaded
outlets or faulty wires can also cause fires. Be sure to use extension cords
that are rated to match the amperage of the appliance or equipment you plan to
connect. And never run appliance or extension cords under rugs or furniture,
as the cords can overheat and cause a fire.
Spot problems before they cause fire or shock.
Don't wait for an accident. Take action at once by calling a qualified repair
person if you notice any of these danger signs:
Recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers.
Feeling a tingle when you touch an electrical appliance.
Discoloration of wall outlets.
A burning smell or unusual odor coming from an appliance or wiring.
Sizzling sound at wall switches or outlets.
Appliances can get hot.
Keep any flammable items well away from lightbulbs, heaters, toasters, and
other electric appliances. And always turn off heating and cooking appliances
before leaving the house.
Use appliances and electric cords wisely to prevent fire or shock.
Copyright 2002 Culverco, LLC. All rights reserved. Not for print reproduction